Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pokwang has a new man

POKWANG is in love.

The comedienne-TV host, however, said she wants to "take things slow" between her and Mexican-American boyfriend, Ryan Navarro, whom she met during a show in the United States early this month.

"My daughter knows about Ryan, but I don't plan to introduce him to her just yet. We only met recently. I want the timing to be right," Pokwang told Inquirer Entertainment on Wednesday. "I've got to hand it to him though, he seems serious about getting to know me more. He asked me if he could visit me here in Manila on my birthday."

Pokwang, Marietta Subong in real life, was born on Aug. 27. "Ryan has two kids and is a divorcee. We met when I joined the recent 'Heartthrobs' show in Dallas, Texas. He was one of the security officers hired for that gig," Pokwang said.

She recalled: "After the show, he came up to me and said he really enjoyed my performance. He volunteered to show me around. Since I had free time, I agreed to go. He then asked for my number and we've been talking and exchanging text messages since."

Pokwang only has good words for the guy. "He's nice and very handsome. He's also a gentleman. I like it that he appreciates my work. I'm not ready to admit to him that I really like him. I just want to take things slow. I want to know him better," said Pokwang, one of the hosts of the noontime game show "Wowowee."

Pokwang said it's important that Ryan understands her work as a comedienne and her life as a public figure. "Intrigues are unavoidable in my kind of work. He should be ready for them," she explained.

At the media gathering to promote her show, "Okey Ka Pokie Ko," set on April 30 at the Metro Bar in Quezon City, Pokwang also candidly talked about prioritizing work over love and how rumors are affecting her as "Wowowee" host.

Would you be willing to give up your show biz career for love?

I will continue working hangga't kailangan pa ako ng show biz. If I feel that the audience has gotten tired of watching me, then I'd quit. I don't think Ryan is in a hurry to settle down. He's only 29. But if I see that he's sincere at mamahalin n'ya kaming mag-ina, I'm OK with quitting work.

Willie Revillame ("Wowowee" main man) is very protective of his lady hosts. Does he already know about Ryan?

I brought our pictures to the "Wowowee" set already. Kuya Willie was pleased. Gusto n'ya si Ryan. Kinikilig s'ya para sa akin.

How true is the rumor that you're not getting along with the show's four new female hosts?

I wish people could see how we bond in the dressing room. Ang lalandi namin. What's interesting to note is that Mariel (Rodriguez), Valerie (Concepcion), RR (Enriquez) and I are all adjusting to the new girls (Carmen Soo, Jed Montero, Isabelle Abiera and Kelly Misa). I don't think of them as competitors. We're in one show; we're part of one family.

PBB Big Winner Melissa Cantiveros is often compared to you. How do you find her as a comedienne?

Kapag magkamukha talagang napagkukumpara. I've worked with her once. She's very nice and funny. I think she's got what it takes to make it in this business-'di pa nagsasalita nakakatawa na. I gave her some advice. I told her, "Mag-ipon ka because work in show biz is not permanent." I also explained to her the importance of having her own car, kahit second-hand lang muna. It's good that she listens.

Would you advice her to focus more on work instead of her relationship with Jason (Francisco)?

I think they sincerely love each other, but when it comes to matters like that, labas na ako. I just hope they will work together and not try to pull each other down.

"Okey Ka Pokie Ko" also features Bugoy Drilon, Laarni Lozada, Voice Avenue and the trio Luningning, Milagring and Mariposa.


Source: Philippine Daily Inquirer

0 comments: