Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Nikki Gil parts with Star Magic; calls her move a ‘calculated risk’

Kapamilya star Nikki Gil surprised people Tuesday with the announcement of her shift in management team from Star Magic to ALV Talent Circuit.

At the press conference feted by her new manager Arnold Vegafria, she described her decision as a “calculated risk” and one that her camp had talked over with people who matter to her, including Star Magic head Johnny Manahan.

“It pains me to think I am no longer one of his daughters but I will always look up to him as a father and mentor. I won’t be where I am today if not for Star Magic’s assistance but as they say, nothing is permanent in life. I just look at this like that of a daughter na nagdalaga na and who is now in transition,” Gil told Bulletin Entertainment in an exclusive interview.

She rebuffed suggestions that her boyfriend, singer Billy Crawford, also under ALV Talent Circuit, had a hand in her latest career decision.

“No, magkahiwalay ang work at personal life namin. But since gusto ko ‘yung nakikita kong pagpapatakbo ni Arnold sa career niya at sa best friend ko [Iya Villaniya], I signed up with ALV na din,” she explained.

Gil also nipped in the bud the ill talk that she has been comparing the frequency and quality of her exposure on “ASAP XV” vis-a-vis Toni Gonzaga’s and Sarah Geronimo’s. She said the two stars belong to an entirely different league so it’s illogical to engage them in rivalry.

“And in the first place, bakit naman ako magbibilang ng segments? EP [Executive Producer] ba ako? Advertiser o kliyente para gawin ‘yon?” she exclaimed trying to make light of the matter.

Then turning serious, Gil intoned, “Sino ang matutulungan o mapapasama kung gagawin ko ‘yon? I know that like me, Sarah and Toni are just doing their jobs on ‘ASAP.’ And the three of us are friends. I mean we’ve shared the same dressing room for five years now! And we hang out and text each other. I just pray na mapagod ang mga tao who are out para pagsabungin kami.”

She added that given the number of stars on “ASAP XV,” the amount of work that she’s being given is “big enough” and “more than usual.”

Gil’s contract with the show will expire in June. Still, she would not say if she will leave the show or the network altogether by then.

“I leave it up to my new manager to decide on such things. My focus is on honing my craft. I am happy being a Kapamilya at the moment,” she emphasized.

Does she have second thoughts on moving out of Star Magic?

“No. I trust my new manager and my bigger manager, God. He has seen me through my career and everything has been smooth-sailing naman. I admit, though, that with all these changes, I’ll be needing His grace and favor more than ever.”

Gil said that, as usual, she will take everything one day at a time.

“Although leaving family behind is heartbreaking, I have to train myself to look ahead or I’m never gonna get anywhere.

“Like I said, this move is a calculated risk. I just hope the odds are not against us.”

Source: Manila Bulletin

0 comments: